Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Today's Run OR A New Season (Literally)

Weather took a sharp cold turn in the morning. I had hoped to ease into it, but there you go. I'm having to relearn to breathe; my nose stuffs up pretty quickly, and the air is drier. The up side is that my cooler weather workout gear has many more pockets.

I'm finding myself in an inevitable post-event funk. All my self-affirmation seemed to melt away when I was surrounded by other runners. Not making it to any of the official pictures didn't help; as a friend commented on the last post, it was like I wasn't even there. It seems like I am more and more invisible these days for one reason or another.

One typical reaction I've had at this point of an endeavor is to quit. Thankfully, I've sunk some money into this venture. Not to mention, other people have started moving allegedly because of what I'm doing. Then there's my Miss who has a tendency to fall apart when things don't go perfectly; I'd be a poor model of behavior there. And what about my commitment to myself?

All this to say, I ran this morning--3.11 miles in just under 40 minutes, about a 1.23 miles of which was pretty solid running.

When I don't quit, I get mad. That's the time to get out of my way.