Thursday, October 11, 2012

Today's Run OR Slowed Down by Compassion

Amazing run today. So many factors could have made it bad--head cold, hormone fluctuations, 95% humidity--but they didn't. I kept up a great pace throughout the run.

I did slow down near the high school.* I heard a wailing. My first thought was to keep going; but if I took a risk on bringing home a dog, how much more does a human being deserve my time? (Although, how am I going to explain this one to Mister?) I didn't have my glasses on, but I saw what was the shape of a stroller. As I approached, I saw there was a young woman sitting next to the child, and she was the one crying. I asked her if she was okay, if she needed me to call anyone. She said no. Did she want me to stay? No. So I headed home.

So I essentially did nothing. I was no practical help to her. But I did SEE her. I stopped and asked. I don't say this to mean I did anything important or pat myself on the back. On the contrary, I'm wondering if I should have insisted that I do more.

I do want this interaction to color my behavior today. I want to see. I want to act.

If you're the praying kind, say a prayer for this young woman and her child, whatever their need is. If you're not (and even if you are), consider a action of compassion today. This is an area in which I know I must always train.

* Why do things always happen near the high school? Maybe I should change my route.