Thursday, October 18, 2012

Today's Run OR Ceilings, Silence, and Stress

Good run. Covered more ground in the allotted time than I think I ever have before. Breathing was steady throughout. Slowed down on my intervals toward the middle, but it looks like I picked it up a little at the end. Part of me wished I had brought a water bottle, especially since I'm still having the dregs of a cold; the other part of me was glad not to have something extra in my hands.

Mid 70s. Windy. 53% humidity.

My local NPR app tends to go out on the last third of my route, and usually by then I don't feel like messing with it. I'm on the fence about the race next week when it comes to listening to something while I run. As far as I can tell, there are no restrictions regarding headphones. At the same time, it wouldn't flow with the aesthetic of the costume. If I'm going to do the race without music or anything, I'm going to have to practice--nothing new on race day is the rule. Running without music or talking heads could make the experience interminable. At the same time, it could open me up to fully experiencing what is going on around me. There's a part of me that really wants to be present during the race and drink it all in.

Speaking of race day, I'm starting to get nervous about my costume. When last I contacted the seamstress, she said she was mailing it out yesterday. I'm the kind of neurotic that likes to have things more settled. I want it in my hand. I want to be practicing in it. I will probably all be fine, but I may have to consider a back up plan just in case.