Sunday, September 23, 2012

Today's Run (or Head Games)

A bird hanging out
at the end of our cul-de-sac.
I did not bring it home.
Long run this morning. It was meant to be 3 miles, but with (unrecorded) warm up and (recorded) cool down, it was closer to 3.5 miles. All told, I was out 53 minutes, but I did the 3 miles in about 45 minutes. Still a long way to go, but a couple minutes shaved off. So, progress.

About halfway through, self-doubt was starting to raise its head again. It didn't make sense, though, as I have been cranking out 2.5 miles a couple times a week; another half mile really shouldn't make that much difference. I think the reason it seemed to take so long is more due to the fact that I was thinking through the additional mileage to my route.* But as I run it on Sunday mornings from here on, I'm sure it won't feel as eternal.

This is a factor I'm going to have to get over pretty soon. I can't run every 5K route before the actual day. I can study maps, though, for all that's worth. It kind of helps that I drive home from work along the route of my first 5K; I mentally run it as I head toward home ("This is the first mile. This is where I will turn.").

I think this is going to have to be a lesson in letting go and being in the moment.

* I also have a terrible sense of direction and am constantly terrified of getting lost. I have been known to do "dry runs" to appointments and build in "bumbling around" time.