Sunday, September 2, 2012

Namaste

More than one person has told me directly or indirectly that my consistent walking and attempts at running have inspired/motivated him/her.

I am honored you think so, but I sincerely don't get it.

I watch as others that I have "inspired" lap me--faster time, farther in the C25K program. And there are others of my friends who have been doing the C25K independently of me who do so much better than I do (aka my inspirations). Ultimately I feel like a tortoise among so many hares.1

Trouble with being a perfectionist is that I'm consistently surprised when others don't view me the way I view myself.2 Yes, my thinking is constantly questioned by loved ones, and this is exhausting to them. Yes, I constantly challenge my own thinking, which is exhausting to me. But on occasion, the message gets through.

A friend sent this blog post to me, and it made me cry.3 Was that what you meant?

Yeah. All right.

For every comment you make: Thank you. For every "Like" for my Runkeeper status or my blog posts: Thank you. For every encouraging word you give me in person: Thank you.

Really. Thank you.

I will make every effort to return the favor. Because, honestly, you inspire me too.

1Motto: Slow and steady wins the race. Unless it's a real race.
2Even more painful is watching my child following the same path and knowing there isn't much I can do to help.
3By "cry," I mean ugly, open mouth sobbing crying. I may have mentioned I'm a little hormonal right now.