Tuesday, February 26, 2013

RUN ALL THE RACES!!!

Everybody's got their carrot. Mine, in case you haven't guessed, is races. It gives me training deadlines. I also spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about what I'm going to wear.

Anyhow, I'm still pursuing the goal of trying to run at least one race a month. And the inevitable has occurred--I'm running at least 3.1 miles several times a week now; virtual races are not really doing it for me any more. I'm wanting experiences.

I was hoping to participate in the Navy marathon weekend next month, but it just ain't happening. The medals are really good, and it's near a Naval base at which Mister did a lot of his Reserve drill time. However, since it is Reserve weekend, Mister would have to get special permission to drill there. Plus there is no race day packet pick up; if we picked up Miss from school and left RIGHT THEN, we might make it if everything went smoothly (and it never does). And there's no jogging strollers allowed on the course. Mister might-could get permission to do his PT with running the race; but then we're still trying to find someone to watch with Miss. Just one clusterfluffle after another. So I'm reluctantly letting this one go this time.

March is not lost, however. I am set to run Color Me Rad on 30 March during the 9:20 wave. I'm kind of excited how this event snowballed among my friends--at last count, Team Chunky Wonder Woman has 5-8 runners. (And more can still join! Please do!) This is going to be a lovely low-pressure kind of run; the point is to be together and get as colorful as possible. As far as I'm concerned, it's the perfect way to spend Easter Saturday by embracing joy. (But what shall I wear? More of this existential crisis later.)

The April race is still up in the air. I'm waiting on permission to attend this year's Texas Library Association in Fort Worth. On Friday, there's a 5K, and some of my fellow UNT alums would run with me. I figured this would be a good opportunity to wear my Tough Chik singlet. Because if anyone knows how to survive tough times, it's a librarian! (More of this existential crisis later as well.)

For May, it looks like I will be able to do the Texas Flower Country Women's 5K. This will be a destination race (about 3-4 hour drive away). But there is race day packet pick-up, so the time pressure will not be too great. And since this is a women only race, Mister will hang out with Miss at the flower center (the promise of barbecue brunch and mimosas helped). As far as I'm concerned, this will be the perfect Mother's Day gift, and I think only the Wonder Woman costume will do.

June is probably going to be the Electric Run. No scheduling conflicts (so far). Jogging strollers are allowed; because it's a night race, Miss will probably be okay with this. But what to wear ... I'm thinking at least a neon-colored WW tiara and bracelets may be in order.

So this should take me to the summer when things get crazy-hot. My work schedule may also change, as will Mister's Reserve schedule (maybe). As much as I love to plan ahead (and I do), I think I will have to be content with this.

In the meantime, RUN ALL THE RACES!!!