Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Today's Run OR Time to Level Up?

But seriously.

You know that playground that was huge when you were a kid that wasn't so big when you visited it later? That's what's been happening with my running lately. Landmarks seem closer, segments seem more runable. I'm not sure what snapped in my head, but there's been a definite change in how I've been pushing myself.

I'm also finding myself getting hungrier for mileage. Maybe it's the self-righteous running charm bracelet that I've started (oh yes, I did because ... shiny). Maybe it's that I've run several 5Ks already. Maybe it's that the second most frequent question I get after telling people about my running* is "So you're running marathons?" Even though I'm proud of what I'm doing, I find myself saying, "No, it's just a 5K."

I'm tired of "just."

So I'm back to asking myself if it is okay to reach for the 10K if I can't complete a 5K without walking some of it. Of course it is--that's what I would tell someone else, that's what I've been told. But do I believe it? Here's the thing: if I'm working on just speed, I think I'm always going to frustrate myself. I'm just never going to be fast. But I can go the distance. I'm pretty sure I can walk forever, and I know I can walk a 10K.

I guess the next step is to find out what my baseline time is--try myself out with the distance (I'm guessing about an hour and a half at this point). Then a training plan. Then sign myself up for one and see how it goes.

I'm feeling as crazy and scared about this as I did when I was considering just running. And then running a 5K. Which means a repeat when I'll be thinking about 10 miles ... and a half marathon ... and ...

Insanity. Pure insanity.

* First most frequent question: "You run?"