Wednesday, December 5, 2012

(Virtual) Race Report: YOUR Birthday Run

My Official Race Shirt
Charity: Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Finish Time: 0:42:11

I decided a long time ago that, while I may dye my hair, I won't lie about my age. Every year is hard-earned; the good and bad experiences should be embraced. So, today is my 42nd birthday--the funniest of all the numbers, according to Douglas Adams.

Not this girl.
My work schedule worked out so that I could have my actual birthday off. After dropping Miss off at school, Mister and I drove to Memorial Park for my official run. I took a risk asking him to run with me, as I know he is in better shape than I am. I made the conscious decision not to feel guilty about holding him back, since he was there for me!

Mister turned out to be a pretty good coach, in that I hated and loved him at the same time. He would set limits to our walking time. He would set goals. He checked my form.* He coached my breathing (which seems to be what needs the most work right now). I growled and groaned at him, and he still prodded and pushed.** Ultimately I was very grateful for his companionship, faith in me, and drive to help me be a stronger person. It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I married him, among other things.*** I'd really like to run with him again if he's game.

Birthday Bondiband & bling!
All in all, decent time--a few seconds better than Thanksgiving. Got to keep his coaching in my head on Saturday when I'm doing my race on my own. I will say that it had been a long time since I have used that track; we used to walk it, and it took nearly an hour. Today it seemed a little shorter.

Happy Birthday to me! May the coming year continue to be filled with infinite improbilities!





* Totally not a euphemism in this case.
** Still not a euphemism.
*** There's your euphemism.