Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day in the Life: Remembering How to Cold and Other Thoughts

I have officially forgotten how to cold.

This morning, it was high 30s when I went out for my run (in Houston, this is considered COLD). So I dressed in layers like I did a year ago. About a quarter mile in, I realized that I had seriously overdressed. At about the 1.5 mile mark, I hit my first walk interval and shed a layer (while adjusting my reflective armbands and still holding on to the dog leash--ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED).

It occurred to me that the change was not so much the weather, but me. A year ago, I was still doing more walking than running. Today, I finished up week 12 of a 10K plan that had me doing three sessions of 18 minutes running with a one minute walking interval. The cold weather was an added plus in my speed (which isn't super important but nice to discover); I actually got to a below 11 minute mile. But I'm definitely going to have to rethink how I dress from now on.

Before I get too self-congratulatory, though, I decided to Eat All the Things at a work get-together and am feeling a little sick and shamed. It's not about the weight, but a little self-control is attractive.

In other news, I intend to kill myself with another hour long session with a Bob Harper video. I did it on Monday (okay, most of it), and I'm still sore. Seriously, how crazy are you when the 5 mile run is the easy day? A colleague asked me why I would even do such a thing if it hurt so much and took so long to recover. The best answer I could give was, "Pushing through it makes me feel more alive. It's a rush."

Yeah, I've become one of Those.

---------------------------------
Don't forget I've got a giveaway ending tomorrow.

Also, Step Out for Diabetes is a little over a week away. I'm running in memory of my mom, and any donation/participation/good thought is appreciated.