Saturday, August 3, 2013

July in Review (and Preview of the Months to Come)

Miles covered: 35.4 miles



If I were traveling from Bag End to Rivendell, we'd be between day 3 and 4 from Weathertop

Races: MRTT Running Mad Virtual

Reflection:

I hope I can call myself recovered because here comes the 10 Miler training! This past month, I've been working my way through C25K, but not really doing anything the non-running days. Now I'm going to finish that up toward the end of this month while adding in the cross-training and longer distances of the 10 Mile program. I'm following the Hal Higdon 15K plan for novices. It will take me up to an 8 miles in the training, which is an okay thing since I tend to do better the first time I try a distance.

I did, however, move some of the days around to accommodate my schedule better.

  • Monday: Cross (most likely swimming at the Y)
  • Tuesday: Run + strength (probably heavy bag, maybe light sandbells)
  • Wednesday: Stretch & Strengthen (probably Pilates video; it's the morning after my evening shift, which is always tough to get going; if I sleep in my workout clothes, I can roll out and get it done)
  • Thursday: Run (my family has evening activities; things need to be as simple as possible)
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: Cross (haven't figured this one out yet; if it's a working weekend, either a Leslie Sansone video or a simple walk with the dogs)
  • Sunday: Long run
As a way to keep my head in the game, I thought I'd add a health habit each week as well. This week, I'm going to work on getting to bed and getting up on a regular schedule. In the weeks to come, I'm going to try to get back to dumping soda from my diet and tracking my food. Not that this is about weight--I just know that I'm going to have huge cases of the rungries, and I want to rethink what I'm using for fuel. 

I do have some virtual races to knock out--Jedi Challenge, Unleash Your Inner Wonder Woman, and the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Fun Run. I had so much fun with the Running Mad virtual that I think I'd like to do these with other people. I don't want to organize a race; what I'd like is to run them with other people running virtuals, and then go out for coffee together while we wear our medals. Anybody interested?

But back to FAQ of how I am doing: better. Walking around (and, of course, running) is better. Nights are better. Stamina continues to increase (but still lower than what it was). There's still a build up of pressure when I eat too much that's very uncomfortable. I still am not allowed to lift anything too heavy. I'm super nervous with the prospect of going 10 miles, but I'm leaving myself the option of paying the penalty fee to downgrade to 5. Which would mean no medal. I'm still going to give this a shot.