Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Ten Miler Training Begun--Highs and Lows

I'm well into week 2 of training for my 10 miler, and it's been going okay so far. I do, however, foresee some modifications that I'm going to have to make.

Monday: Cross
This translated to swimming at the Y, and I think it's a keeper in the plan. Normally, just switch off between treading water and using the water weights.

Week one, everyone was moved into the racing pool. I ended up doing very slow crawls back and forth. Don't get me wrong--this totally counts; I just feel inept. If ever I were to consider tri, there would have to be lessons for sure.

Week two, I was paying for some overindulgence on Sunday night (worked the weekend, so I thought I "deserved it"). I spent a good portion of that night in pain, and a good portion of that day in the bathroom. So I took things pretty easy for the most part. Lesson learned? Ha!

Tuesday: Run + Strength
Still following the C25K plan.

Week one: The 5-8-5 running intervals were surprisingly lovely. I fumbled around with the 10 lbs. sandbell and exercise ball afterwards. I think I'm going to need some more structured weight workouts.

Week two: Only got in the run, due to a very full schedule. However, I managed a 25 minute continuous run, which I have never ever ever done before.

Wednesday: Stretch and Strengthen
Week one, I tried a Pilates DVD. I was okay, but I'm still seeing that I need to take care with my core thanks to the surgery. I'm only now beginning to lie on my right side, but lying on my stomach is still extremely painful. Also, I ached, not in the hey-I-worked-out way but the I-don't-think-I'm-quite-healed-yet way.

Week two, I woke up too late to get the Pilates in. I picked up a yoga video from the Library and did that while Mister made dinner.* It was gentle--not too much on the stomach, felt good, felt worked, but didn't feel damaged. At one point, I was reaching forward, and Miss pressed on my back "like the [teacher] on the TV" (the instructor was helping one of the students); Mister shooed her away so I could finish, but there was a sweetness to it and I pushed a little farther. Lots of Savasana (corpse pose) incorporated throughout, as well as meditation--good for my mental health as well as my body. Truly, the perfect midweek activity.

Thursday: Run
Last week, the C25K plan called for two 10 minute runs, which I conquered. This week is another 25 minute continuous run, which I'm actually looking forward to.

Friday: Rest / Saturday: Cross
I work on Fridays and every third Saturday. The Y opens at 5AM on Friday and 7AM on Saturday (when I'm almost out the door if I'm working). So I'm going to switch my crosstraining day and my rest day so I can be guaranteed at least one morning that I get to sleep in (unless Miss gets me up on the Saturdays I have off--which she will).

Sunday: Long Run
Last Sunday, the C25K plan was to run 20 minutes continuously, at which I failed miserably. According to the 15K plan, I was supposed to get in 3 miles, which I did do. Fail? Win? At least I got out.

Since there's very little variation to the C25K plan at this point, I'm going to go back to intervals for my long runs. Let's face it--I'm not going to run 10 miles continuously. I will, however, have to learn how to conserve my energy for the distance. The 3-1 intervals that seemed so overwhelming during my 10K training now seem like nothing. In fact, I'm really looking forward to them!

All in all, I feel my body shifting again--stronger, more disciplined. My brain is too in an unexpected way, but that's its own post.

Now to set my Brian Blessed alarm for 5:00AM. Because that's how it's done.

* Mister does the cooking in our house. Good thing too; otherwise we'd be having cereal every night.