Friday, June 7, 2013

Gall of It All OR I'm Not Dead Yet

I must have sounded pretty bad in my last post because I've gotten a bunch of calls and messages lately. Not complaining at all--I really appreciate the support. When one is recovering, one tends to only be in the moment.

That being said, I feel like I'm finally getting better. I've been using OTC pain killers during the day and prescription at night with tolerable success. Mornings are good, but it does tend to progress during the day. Forgive me for the metaphor, as I have been playing a lot of Elder Sign on my phone, but my monsters tend to come out the closer I get to midnight.

Last time I walked, I did two miles at what is beginning to resemble my usual pace (although, I've noticed that I'm pretty worn out the day after). I've also made some attempts at driving again. I'm figuring out my diet  as well--what I can handle, how much, what I can't.

In other words, it looks like I'm coming back to Normal Life.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm not scared about going back to work. I'm really unsure about my endurance levels, and I know that I'm going to have to be honest about my limits--mostly to myself--and communicate them clearly. Not my strong suit, but I'm going to have to learn. I figure this is the price I pay for getting back to my running self.

In the meantime, I've signed myself up for a couple of really nerdy virtual runs--The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Fun Run/Walk and the Jedi Challenge Virtual Run--both of which have wicked cool medals. I'm intending on making these some of my first runs, and I would love some folks to join me.

I've also been writing scripts for a monthly vlog feature where I will discuss topics specific to running in costume--the whys, the hows, and toss in a few tutorials. I guess that's what happens when one has some down time to watch the YouTubes.

As they say, dying is easy; living is hard. I've got too many plans yet.